Head of Learning Support – Independent Prep School
Are you passionate about empowering all students to achieve their full potential? Our client, a girls’ independent prep school in Hertfordshire, is actively seeking a dedicated and experienced Head of Learning Support to join their team from January 2024.
Position: Head of Learning Support
Start Date: January 2024
Salary: Around £40,000 – £48,000 per annum
The Head of Learning Support oversees the provision of Learning Support at the school, ensuring that every student reaches their full potential and receives appropriate support for any special educational needs or disabilities.
About the SEN provision at the school:
The school understands that all students possess unique characteristics and learn in diverse ways, emphasising the responsibility to consider the individual needs of each student.
The school prides itself for being dedicated to providing necessary assistance, both academically and pastorally, to ensure continuous progress and the well-being of every student.
Support is offered in various forms, whether within the classroom or outside, through one-on-one sessions or small group settings, all aimed at achieving positive outcomes and addressing individual needs. The extent of support may range from brief periods of dedicated assistance to more prolonged, comprehensive approaches. In instances requiring specialised expertise, the school collaborates with third-party specialist teachers, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, and educational psychologists to deliver appropriate guidance and intervention.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
* Safeguard children’s welfare and create a secure learning environment.
* Attend required staff meetings and events.
* Maintain teaching standards and oversee colleagues.
* Manage department budget and supervise report writing.
* Lead INSET training and promote ICT as a learning tool.
* Plan for Special Educational Needs (SEN) and stay updated on inspection material.
* Report on SEND assessments and review Individual Education Plans (IEPs).
* Lead SEN teaching, monitor Schemes of Work, and review risk assessments.
* Manage subject area budget and advise on SEN knowledge.
* Maintain up-to-date policies, particularly the SEND Policy.
* Stay current with relevant training.
Pupils and Parents:
* Ensure effective assessments and set clear learning targets.
* Monitor pupils’ work and disseminate progress information.
* Liaise with parents and collaborate on admissions.
* Promote technology use and subject initiatives.
Liaison and Events:
* Formulate information for Parents Information Evening.
* Build cross-curricular links and positive relationships with feeder schools.
* Organize and participate in enrichment events.
* Degree with QTS.
* National Award for Special Educational Needs leadership.
* Teaching experience at EYFS, KS1, and KS2.
* Work experience in a Learning Support team.
* Strong IT and data management skills.
* Familiarity with MS products.
* Excellent judgement and communication skills.
* Ability to build effective relationships.
* Flexibility in approach.
* Effective time management.
* Approachable to staff and parents.
Safeguarding, Discipline, Health & Safety:
* Adhere to safeguarding requirements.
* Align actions with the School’s Aims & Ethos.
Cooperate with the SLT for safeguarding and health and safety duties
If you have the relevant skillset and would be interested in this exciting role, then we welcome an application from you. Please apply within or call Ella Hayes at Connaught Education for further details.
Connaught Education – Independent School Specialists
Connaught Education is a trading brand of Connaught Resourcing and operates as an Employment Business and an Employment Agency. We are a committed equal opportunities employer who respect and value cultural diversity. We are committed to supporting the welfare of children and young people. In support of current Safeguarding legislation we will carry out background checks and an Enhanced DBS Disclosure as part of our recruitment and selection procedures.