Music Teacher – Independent Boys’ Prep School
Start Date: September 2023
Are you a passionate and skilled Music Teacher looking to make a difference in the education and development of young minds? Our client, an independent boys’ prep school in Hampstead, is seeking a talented Music Teacher to join their team starting in September 2023.
As a Music Teacher, you will be responsible for delivering stimulating and engaging music lessons to boys from Reception to Year 8.
The school believes that creativity, academic achievement and pastoral support are interdependent, and aims to create a nurturing and respectful environment that also promotes rigorous learning. Through this approach, students are encouraged to take intellectual risks and cultivate a natural curiosity, which prepares them for their transition to top-tier, independent schools. The school has been recognized by ISI as Excellent, and is distinguished by its emphasis on academic achievement within a close-knit and secure community.
The key responsibilities of the role would involve:
- Develop engaging and challenging Schemes of Work and Curriculum Plans for Nursery to Year 8 students, with provisions for those with additional needs and the most able students;
- Provide a range of music-making opportunities for pupils, both in and out of the classroom;
- Participate in school and community events, such as leading hymn practice in assembly and playing musical instruments as needed;
- Manage the school choir, including organizing concerts, performances, and productions for the wider school community;
- Identify and support pupils with exceptional musical talent, providing high-quality input for scholarship pupils;
- Coordinate Peripatetic Music teaching and ensure that all assessments are in line with the school’s reporting and assessment policy;
- Track and report on pupil progress in music, maintaining accurate records and communicating effectively with parents;
- Develop and update the Department Handbook and Departmental Development Plan, aligned with the School Development Plan;
- Maintain subject area spaces on the School Website and the VLE, including engaging and stimulating content;
- Promote the Music department through the school’s social media account;
- Incorporate Digital Literacy into the music curriculum and stay up-to-date with the latest developments in the field;
- Manage the department budget, accounting for expenditure and ensuring that it has a positive impact on learning;
- Act as Form Tutor and oversee the academic and pastoral development of tutees, communicating with parents as necessary;
- Liaise with external agencies and APG Forums to maintain high standards;
- Provide work for substitute staff in the event of staff absence;
- Ensure a high-quality learning environment by managing and improving the classrooms within the department, including displays of student work and enforcing Faculty policies on sanctions and rewards in line with the School Behaviour Policy.
- A vision for developing the Music provision from Reception to Year 8;
- The desire to want to contribute to the overall Musical life of the school beyond the taught curriculum
- Experience teaching across varying Key Stages;
- It would be advantageous for the candidate to have experience in more than one of the Creative Arts subjects
If this opportunity excites you and you feel you meet the requirements for the position, then we welcome an application from you. Please send through your CV or call Ella at Connaught Education for more information.
Connaught Education – The Independent Schools Specialist
Connaught Education is a trading brand of Connaught Resourcing and operates as an Employment Business and an Employment Agency. We are a committed equal opportunities employer who respect and value cultural diversity. We are committed to supporting the welfare of children and young people. In support of current Safeguarding legislation we will carry out background checks and an Enhanced DBS Disclosure as part of our recruitment and selection procedures.